Saturday, April 15, 2017

Elizabeth's New Friend, a children's story

Elizabeth’s New Friend
By,
Debralynn Fein
            Friday is the best day of the week. It’s Show and Tell day! Everyone in my class brings a special toy to share. I have something better though. My Grandma Isabel gave me my very own change purse. It has lots of tiny white pearly beads and it also has three big beads: a pink one, a yellow one, and a blue one. Grandma brought the purse over from Europe where she was born.
First, I sit down at the table to eat my cereal. I put my purse right next to me. I don’t want to forget it. The doorbell rings. As Mama opens the door for my big cousin, I take the napkin and rub the beads to make sure they shine.
            “See my new purse!” I say to cousin Babs who has funny brown curls and a plain black bag for her school books.
            “Oh wow, that is c...ool! And just look at you Elizabeth!  You’re dressed so grown up.
            “Why, it’s Show and Tell Day,” Mama says.
            “Oh!” Babs exclaims. “That is important. Let’s go then. You don’t want to be late for your big day.”
                                                            *******
           Finally, we arrive at my school. Babs is the sixth- grade helper for my class. She helps us get in line.
           There’s Erica. She’s a showoff and copycat. She copies me all the time. One day, I brought the story of Leo the Late Bloomer to school. I can read it all by myself. What does Erica do? She brings in two books. She reads both by herself.  Another day, I brought a ball to school. The next day, Erica brought a bigger ball. Still another day, I brought my jump-rope. The next day, Erica brought her rainbow rope. She’s such a show-off!
           “So what do you have for Show and Tell?” Erica asks.
           “I have something great,” I answer her. “Wait till you see it!” I say as we walk down the hall with our class.
           The teacher walks into the room right after us.
           “Hi, Miss Forester,” Babs says as she gets ready to leave for her own class. My cousin comes over to my seat before she leaves the room. “Bye Lizzie, have a great Show and Tell day,” Babs says as she ruffles my hair.
           “I must take out my Show and Tell. I just have to see it. I look through my school bad, and find my lunch, my notebook and my pencil case. Oh no, where is my purse?” My new sweater has a pocket in it. I put my hand in, but all I pull out is a used tissue.
           My purse, my purse, where could it be? And it’s grandma’s special one from Europe! Could I have dropped it somewhere on the way to school? Tears fall from my eyes. Then I wipe them with the old tissue. I look all around my seat as Miss Forrester begins to call our names for the roll, but I don’t see my Show and Tell anywhere.  What am I going to do?
           “Brian Jones,” She calls.
           “Here,” He says softly.
           “Danny Dubinsky.”
           “Here,” a louder voice answers.
           “Elizabeth Kessler,” she calls.
           “H.h.here,” I answer.
           “Elizabeth,” she says, coming over, “are you crying? What’s the matter?”

           “I can’t find my Show and Tell.  I’ve looked everywhere. In my schoolbag, my sweater pocket, around my seat, just ev...everywhere,” I say.

No comments:

Post a Comment